On 13 July 2022, VoxUkraine published an article from David Saha, Pavel Bilek, Rouven Stubbe and Manuel von Mettenheim, Anna Ackermann, Anna Danyliak and Viktoriia-Anna Oliinyk on “Putting the green reconstruction of Ukraine into action: Requirements for programme design and policy”. The article is based on the published in July 2022.
Several crucial themes for a robust and successful green reconstruction have been identified:
- The implementation of green reconstruction requires a mix of programme design and policy, incl. policy reforms that remove known regulatory obstacles to green finance.
- A strategic decision is required regarding whether to make Ukraine a showcase model for selected frontier technologies.
- Affordable financing is vital for green reconstruction.
- Efficient administration of green reconstruction projects is necessary to secure speedy implementation.
- Governance of reconstruction programmes and a continuation of reform processes are required to attract financing.
- International private investment will require political risk insurance.
- Green post-war reconstruction of the country cannot happen without ensuring restoration of damaged ecosystem services.
Ukraine needs to develop a clear vision for its reconstruction in terms of the priorities and desired transformations. In other words, Ukrainians need to come together and decide which kind of country will be rebuilt.